The 1926 textiles factory was transformed into modern residential apartments with Melbourne city views.
The industrial facade and character of the building is retained, whilst security is enhanced through an electronic access system to the central courtyard of open skies, exposing resident’s front windows with natural light. Screen fences in this central communal space were designed to be a sculptural element in their own right whilst their fabric and steel are reminders of the manufacturing textile industry of the building’s history.
Each apartment features an open plan fitted out with German appliances, solid granite bench tops, Italian tiles, abundant storage space and stairs built from recycled Blue Gum as a feature of each apartment. The height of the ceilings of some are three to six metres high, with climate controlled hydronic heating reducing energy costs. All residents are able to enjoy the communal upper terrace designed by Architects providing city views from the Fitzroy apartments.